5-Step Formula to Earning Your FMP Credential
Interested in IFMA’s most popular credential? We are walking you step-by-step through the process of earning your FMP.
Why is it considered the foundational credential?
The credential covers 4 key areas that every facility manager should have experience in—Finance & Business, Project Management, Leadership & Strategy, and Operations & Maintenance. The material showcases real-world examples that specifically address challenges a facility manager would face.
Who is ideal for the FMP?
Facility managers with at least a year of experience would most benefit from this credential. The FMP materials are aimed to fill in knowledge gaps and go more in-depth into the profession.
What makes the FMP credential a wise choice?
The FMP material is sourced from global standards. It educates you on FM concepts or projects you might not have been exposed to and gives you a base of knowledge for data-driven decisions.
5 Steps to Earning Your FMP
Step 1: Get Set Up
Verify your FM.Training account
- Login and use the email address that will be associated with your training course
- Access your inbox and review emails
Make sure you can access course materials
Have a question or issue?
- Review the how-to video or open a help desk ticket
Step 2: Plan. Study. Pass.
Set your completion date.
- When do you want to earn your credential?
Download a free FMP study guide.
- We offer plans for a 4-, 8- or 12-month study schedule
Pick a day(s) to study and stay consistent!
- What days of the week will you study?
- What time of day?
Note: You have two years to complete your FMP from purchase date, but IFMA strongly recommends that you set your completion date no more than a year out to optimize your success.
Step 3: Connect with a community.
Don’t go it alone! Support exists.
- Join an IFMA member engage FMP study group
- Create a study group at work
- Join an IFMA chapter or component group
- Purchase class training to study
Step 4: Understand your course’s online resources.
Take a pretest at the beginning of each module to gauge your knowledge.
Utilize all your study options including:
- Study guides
- Case scenarios
- Optional printed book
Step 5: Stick to the Plan!
- Keep track of the time. Are you tracking with your study schedule?
- Complete each module and final assessment before starting the next one.
- Adjust your schedule accordingly. Each module topic is completely different. You may take more or less time to finish a module than planned.
Congrats! You’ve passed and it’s time to celebrate your credential.
Submit your FMP application to receive:
- Digital badge
- Digital certificate
- Verification of your lifelong credential
Show off your hard work by adding your digital badge to your LinkedIn account, resume and email signature.
Best tips for success:
- Don’t skip reading the material before taking the exam.
- Each module has a final assessment with no proctor. It’s an open-book test; use your materials!
- We recommend a virtual FMP class if you’re having trouble. Attempt the final assessment before your last virtual session.
- Don’t procrastinate! Studying will take more time than you think.
- Make a plan B. Where could you fit in extra time to study a particularly challenging module?